Thursday, December 20, 2012

Chocolate Covered Cherry Bon Bons...YUM!

I love Christmas time...the hustle and bustle of the stores, the sparkly ornaments and houses decorated with bright lights, but my absolute favorite thing is making cookies.

From the time I was a little girl, we always made lots of cookies but these are my favorite ones...I guess they are more like a candy. (Just to let you know how much I love these...I hide them in the freezer so the kids don't find them!)  Whatever they are, they are delicious!!

I will warn you, you will never be able to make enough and you will be hoping for just a couple more when they are all gone, but they are someone messy to make.




Chocolate Covered Cherry Bon Bons

5 1/2 c. Powdered Sugar
3 1/2 c. Coconut
2 bars of Cream Cheese (room temp)
1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
12  Cherries (chopped finely)
2 Bags Chocolate Chips
1-1 1/2 c shaved Wax
Wax Paper

Inside Mixture:
Mix powdered sugar, coconut, cream cheese, vanilla and cherries together.  If the mixture seems too soft add a little more powdered sugar and coconut.    Place in freezer until it is firm.   Once firm, place spoon fulls of the mixture onto a cookie sheet covered in wax paper.  You may need to put the mixture back in the freezer if it starts getting too gooey.  Once done with a tray, place in the freezer to let set up again.

When spooned out mixture is set up again, in a bowl mix 1/2 bag of chocolate chips and about 1/4 c of shaved wax.  To shave the wax, I use a carrot peeler.  The wax helps the chocolate set up on the bon bons. Head the chocolate chips and wax in microwave until smooth.  Then, dip each spoonful of mixture into the chocolate, rolling it to cover them completely and place back on wax paper.

Tip: I do 1/2 bag of chocolate chips at a time, because once it cools it doesn't heat up well again.

Once done, place in freezer if desired (this is my favorite way to keep them)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...